Monday, June 30, 2008

Profiling in the Courts


My mother always told me never to judge a book by it's cover, and I pretty much have taken that to heart. Everyone should be judge on their own personal character and not by some set of social stereotypes. Right?? Well, apparently the courts don't have to. They are free to stack the deck in their own favor based on a set of prejudices.

I was called to jury duty. This is a responsibility I personally take very seriously. I had actually been selected to sit as juror #7. During Voire Dire, (that's when they interview the jurors), it came out that I am an engineer. The interview went like this; "Jurors #7 and #4, you say you are engineers. Have you ever heard any lawyer jokes?" Yes was my reply. "Have you ever heard any engineer jokes?" Again my answer was simply yes. "Do you think that these jokes are based on stereotypes?" Any person with any social skills would know that jokes usually are based on stereotypes. I'm wondering what is the point of her questions and comments. It wasn't long till I found out. The judge asked the prosecutor if she had any peremptory challenges (that's when they dismiss jurors, just because). She replied, I'd like to excuse juror #7.

I felt violated; unjustly deprived of one of the few opportunities I'd have to serve the public interest. Most people would be glad to get out of jury duty, but for me it was a revelation that the state is free to deprive anyone they want at any level if it helps their case. Fairness has nothing to do with it; it's all about winning.


4 comments:

Alisa said...

Do you think it could have had to do with your lack of belly button?

Dennis said...

Yes, among other things.

Dave said...

Your nine felony possession charges might have hurt you too.

Dave said...

(just kidding ;)