Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Know What Boys Like

This is Black Canary Barbie. She was introduced by Mattel this year. The character in DC comics has a "sonic scream" that shatters objects and renders villains incapacitated. For me, the boots and stockings leave me motionless and drooling.

Anyway, I'm thinking, what is the market for this doll?; girls who want to be super heroines, tough chicks, dates for NY governors? I think they're looking for a cross over market. Maybe this doll will appeal to some boys. Kinda like Playgirl magazine. Claims to offer fantasy to women but subscriptions and news rack sales go mostly to men. Very smart on the part of Mattel. So don't worry too much when your son asks for one. It's most likely a phase and Mattel planned it; "not that there's anything wrong with that". You might worry a little if your husband buys one :)

No comments: